[meteorite-list] Any Old Bootids?

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Wed Jun 23 17:34:49 EDT 2004

Dear Listees:

Greetings. Thanks to Jim Strope for posting info about the Bootids
meteor shower, earlier this week. Did anyone try observing last night?

I went out for three fairly short sessions between about 10:45 pm and
1:30 am, and saw eight meteors, two of which were nice and bright,
and another two of which were probably erratics. Will try again on
June 26/27 for the second predicted/possible peak.

This was my first time observing a meteor shower since moving to
Tucson in January of this year. What a difference from New York! On
the East Coast we had to drive 50 miles to get away from city lights
and then deal with cloud cover, mosquitoes, cold nights, etc. In dark
sky-friendly N.W. Tucson, I just put the deck chair out in the garden
and kick back with a cocktail. Sweet!  : )

In other news, I'd like to mention that I recently visited the Lowell
Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ. The observatory is beautifully situated
on a hilltop just outside of Flagstaff, and offers night viewings
most evenings. We were treated to an exceptional view of globular
clusters M5 and M13, and a binary star pair, through the impressive,
vintage Clark telescope -- the very one through which Pluto was
discovered! There is a modest meteorite display at the Lowell,
consisting of a hefty Canyon Diablo, a nice large Holbrook, a Brenham
part slice, some tektites, and a Plainview individual and part slice
with Nininger number.

Admission for the night viewing is only five bucks or $4 if you're
AAA or a senior. Well worth it if you're in the area, but be prepared
for a lot of kids, and of course some clown always has to be told to
turn off their flashlight  : )

Watch the skies!

Geoff N.