[meteorite-list] Machu Picchu Meteorite?

minador minador at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 22:00:34 EDT 2004

Doesn't look like a meteorite - since it's very heavy, could it be a
hematite nodule?  Then again, hematite isn't usually hard enough grind
granite, right?

Did the Inca's even "grind" building stones?  I thought they shaped them by
impact - bang a shaping stone onto the building stone.  I think it looks
like a worn chunk of basalt, which because of its large size, could explain
the heaviness.  Water worn  (smooth) basalt can sometimes have a metallic
luster from desert varnish.  If only the photo was of better quality.  Very
interesting though...

Any other ideas???

Mark Bowling