[meteorite-list] Statistics for falls per year - Part 1 of 4

Mark Abbott mabbott at isd.net
Wed Jun 16 17:02:11 EDT 2004

I recall reading somewhere ("Astrophysical Quantities" maybe) that there
are on average 2 "recoverable" meteorites falling to Earth every day. I
believe that "recoverable" was defined as being 10 grams or larger. Of
course three quarters of those fall in the oceans, leaving approximately
180 per year. So it looks like we are recovering about 3 to 4 percent.

Mark Abbott