[meteorite-list] Meteorite eBay Bidding Comment

Nicholas Gessler gessler at ucla.edu
Sun Jun 13 14:16:35 EDT 2004

Yes, what is an "anti-sniping service."
Is the idea to overwhelm the server with incremental bids so that the
"snipe" can't get in edgewise?

Another voice in praise of sniping.
I use it quite a lot and it often works...
I suppose you might consider it a "shock and awe" tactic.
It might catch other bidders off guard.
But since you never know how many others will be sniping at the last
minute, it's still "the high bid wins."
It's equivalent to saying, "the action (auction) really takes place in the
last half minute."

Such tactics are common in live auctions too:
When a bidder makes an offer without waiting for the auctioneer to call for
bids.
When folks "jump bid," as was the case in our Tucson auction, requiring the
next bidder to bid above the last increment.
It doesn't always work, my jump bid in Tucson was ignored (Michael, you owe
me a cup of coffee for this oversight!).
(Just kidding, Michael...)

Cheers,
Nick