[meteorite-list] Origins

mhutson at pdx.edu mhutson at pdx.edu
Sat Jun 12 17:32:28 EDT 2004

I'm not sure where the idea came from that enstatite chondrites might be
samples of Mercury.  We know that Mercury has a large metallic core and an
intrinsic magnetic field.  Therefore, it must be differentiated.  Surface
material would be the silicate fraction of whatever chondritic precursor
material went in to the accretion of the planet.  All of the metal would be in
the core.  Enstatite chondrites contain a significant amount of metal and are
undifferentiated (roughly solar in composition).  Enstatite chondrites cannot
be surface material from any large (planetary) object.  A recent spectral study
of the surface of Mercury (Sprague et. al -- LPSC 2004) shows no evidence for
metal on the surface of Mercury.  Mercury's surface does not reflect sunlight
in the same manner as an enstatite chondrite.