[meteorite-list] BIOT

Zelimir Gabelica Z.Gabelica at uha.fr
Mon Jul 26 16:30:03 EDT 2004

Hello List,

Here (down) is the copy a message I was trying to send (without success)
during this afternoon. Trying again...Hope it works now.

In the meantime, I well read (through the list) more replies to
Pierre-Marie (Eric, Bernd).
So if I can help...

Cheers,

Zelimir

-----
Hi Pierre-Marie, Jörn, Steve, List,

I have a photocopy of the following document:

"Relation d'un voyage fait dans le Département de l'Orne, pour constater la
réalité d'un météore observé à l'Aigle le 6 floréal an 11"

Par J.-B. BIOT

(lu à la classe des Sciences mathématiques et physiques de l'Institut
National, le 29 messidor an 11)

Document "Imprimé par ordre de l'Institut, Paris, Baudouin, imprimeur de
l'Institut National, Thermidor, An XI"...

pp 3-43,
including a map entitled "carte des lieux sur lesquels a éclaté le météore
du 6 floréal an XI aux environs de l'Aigle, Département de l'Orne"
(the same map that is very often reprinted in many modern treatises).

The text (beginning on p 5) is in old French and it is Biot who is
speaking, thus reporting in full detail his investigations on the field, a
few days after the famous fall was observed...

 From the format and the way it was printed, this could well be a copy of
an "article" (= report)  that appeared in an old issue of "Annales de
Physique" . This is easy to check and I can do it readily but do not have
my data on hand by now.

It is obviously a detailed report written by Biot and read (as it was the
use) by a reporter to the "Academy". In other words, this is not a book as
such but the detailed report is probably very complete.

This copy comes from a local library at l'Aigle and was kindly provided to
me by a library responsible, through a local friend.
However, if it comes from "The Annales", I guess it can be also found
easily alsewhere, possibly also in the US.
In case, the "Annales de Physiques" are available at the library of my
university here.

I don't know if this could help you Pierre-Marie (or anyone else) but I
will be happy to provide you of a copy of my copy in due time, in case you
need this. Let me know off list and we can make arrangements.

Best wishes,

Zelimir

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Université de Haute Alsace