[meteorite-list] Alain Carion's trip to Egypt, some answers.

Impactika at aol.com Impactika at aol.com
Mon Dec 27 22:02:11 EST 2004

Hello again,

Yesterday I  posted:
-----------------------------
Alain Carion just got back from  Egypt where he helped with a great discovery.
He finally sent me a few  pictures, and I thought you might be interested
since it has to do with  meteorites.  :-)

Just go to:  www.IMPACTIKA.com/ACarion.html
----------------------------

Now to answer some of the questions I received:
This might very well turn out to be the largest field of impact craters  ever
found on Earth, with at least 50 craters, most of them visible only by  Radar
Remote sensing, because they have been completely eroded, and filled with
sand.

The exact age of these craters has not been determined yet, but they  are
expected to be tens of millions years old, and that would explain the  complete
lack of meteorites and impact glass. A complete scientific report will  be
published in a few months.

You might want to read this preliminary report for more information:
_www.IMPACTIKA.com/PaillouCRAS04.pdf_
(http://www.IMPACTIKA.com/PaillouCRAS04.pdf)

And no, Alain did not bring back any shattercones!
But I am sure he would have loved too.       :-)

Any other questions?

Anne M.  Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com