[meteorite-list] Asteroid 2004 MN4 Update - December 24, 2004

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 24 22:48:04 EST 2004

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov

Near-Earth Asteroid 2004 MN4
Don Yeomans, Steve Chesley and Paul Chodas
NASA's Near Earth Object Program Office
December 24, 2004

2004 MN4 is now being tracked very carefully by many astronmers
around the world, and we continue to update our risk analysis
(http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk) for this object. Today's impact
monitoring results indicate that the impact probability for
April 13, 2029 has risen to about 1.6%, which for an object of this size
corresponds to a rating of 4 on the ten-point Torino Scale. Nevertheless, the
odds against impact are still high, about 60 to 1, meaning that there is a
better than 98% chance that new data in the coming days, weeks, and months
will rule out any possibility of impact in 2029.