[meteorite-list] Tucson Show, Party, Harvey Awards, Venue, etc.

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Thu Dec 16 15:09:22 EST 2004

Dear Listees:

Greetings from sunny Tucson where it is a pleasant 61 degrees.

I have today spoken with the manager of the Arizona Plaza (formerly the
Vagabond Inn; formerly the Ramada Inn University) in Tucson, and he has
confirmed that they WILL be open during the 2005 Tucson show, although
the long-term future of the hotel in uncertain. Show veterans will know
this hotel well, as it's been the home of Blaine Reed Meteorites for
many years. Thanks to Bill Mason for letting us know about this.

Accommodation is available in the $100/night range, so if any of you
are having trouble finding rooms, this might be a good solution. It's a
bit pricey, but so are all hotels during showtime. The Arizona Plaza is
very well located for show events, and is definitely a fun place to
stay. Contact me off-List if you need booking info.

Regarding the Sixth Annual Meteor Mayhem Birthday Bash and Harvey
Awards:

As previously posted, we will not be holding the 2005 party at the La
Fuente restaurant, which has been its home for the past three years. As
we now regularly have well over 100 guests, organizing a dinner at La
Fuente, or any restaurant, is problematic at best. Every year, some of
our guests have been unhappy with the food service; there were problems
with customers' checks, etc., and we don't want to deal with that any
more. My co-host Steve Arnold IMB and I are, therefore, planning on
moving away from a sit-down dinner situation to a more
informal/fun/social event with bar service. To that end we are
considering holding the 2005 party and Harvey Awards ceremony in either
the lounge bar or the ballroom of the Arizona Plaza.

The event will take place on the evening of Friday, Feb. 4, 2005. On
the same night -- at 7 pm -- our good friends at AAPS ( the Association
of Applied Paleontological Sciences  http://www.aaps.net  ) will be
holding their annual charity auction and dinner in the adjacent Mineral
and Fossil Co-op. Many folks would like to attend the auction AND the
party, so we are considering having a slightly later start for the
party (with the Harveys presented around 9 pm) so that those who wish
to have dinner with AAPS can do so, and then walk next door for the
Harvey Awards. Dinner at the AAPS event will be catered by fine Italian
restaurant The Barefoot Contessa, and is available to non-AAPS members
for a very reasonable fee (reservations are requested). It's likely to
be an excellent dinner and is always a most enjoyable event.

Sorry for the overly-detailed post. I mention all of this here because
I'd like to get some feedback from those planning on attending the
party. Does this sound like a good solution? I'd appreciate some
on-List comments, especially from those of you who have attended the
party and Harvey Awards in the past.

We're trying to put together something that will work for everyone!

It's less than six weeks to showtime, and we are looking forward to
seeing many of you here soon.

Thanks and regards to all,

Geoff N.
www.notkin.net