[meteorite-list] Meteorite finds per state? (In Area Per Meteorite Found)

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Sat Dec 11 23:05:25 EST 2004

Hi Paul and List,

Paul updated the state-by-state statistics to reflect
land area present within each state.  Since I'm pretty
up-to-date with the classified and published meteorites
from California, I can at least update its stats:

> The order in which data is listed is State; number of
> meteorites; (rank in total area of state); land area in
> square miles; (area in square miles per meteorite found).

> California  45  (3)  155,959  (3,464)

Through MB88, California's total is now 95.  So that brings
the 1 per 3464 square miles figure down to 1 per 1642.  By
next year's Bulletin, California's published total will probably
exceed that of Kansas.  --Rob