[meteorite-list] SaharaMet : Point of view on NWA meteorites

SaharaTeam at aol.com SaharaTeam at aol.com
Sun Dec 5 03:51:58 EST 2004

We have put this web page explaining the  situation of NWA meteorites for a
good reason  :
http://www.saharamet.com/meteorite/data/Sahara/Nwa.html

1) the  situation of terrorism is dramatic in Algeria and there is an open
link with  contraband. See these recent posts of Mike on the mailing with the
title :"Re:  [meteorite-list] news from Algeria" and "[meteorite-list] Algeria" :

>  Yep, things are getting a little scary out in Islamland.
> Why anyone  would go to Algeria I dont know. The Army of God terrorist
group
> is  still hacking people up there on a daily basis.

> Michel, are you  suggesting that massacres do not happen in Algeria? Tens
of
> thousands  are dead over the decade.
> I can pull up hundreds of articles on the  bombings, entire villages
murdered
> etc.
> Mike

2)  meteorites bought in Morocco are coming from Algeria, Libya and up to
Egypt for  their majority. It's the case of NWA 482 and 2046 of Mike for example.
And for  his recent trip, when we see that he has been driven right on the
Algeria border  to find the original seller... for us this seller seems coming
from Algeria  (nomads with their flocks don't live in a minefield... in the
other case, after  one week, there will be no more flock in live).

3) the potential for  meteorite prospecting in Morocco is very limited and
the border with Algeria is  officially closed since 1994. For protecting Morocco
from army groups coming  from Algeria there's a double wall of earth created
by bulldozer and mined : one  million mines !!!. It's a military place where
it's forbidden to go. It's what  Mike has described in his recent trip with the
title :
[meteorite-list]  Morocco new fall news

> .....That is
> when the Moroccans told  me that this was a military-only, prohibited zone,
> and that we were not  allowed there! I of course got a little concerned
> (especially when we  saw several mine-fields. We were driving cross-country
> at night with no  lights, only by full moonlight, (not a safe thing in an
old
> war zone  where mine-fields are still around).
> The next morning we arrived at the  tent of the nomad who found the
> pallasite. He led us there, over the  berm and military fighting
emplacements
> to the site, Algeria was only  about 2 kilometers away.......Mike"

So read our web page, you will see  that it contains lots of things that
dealers have still noticed. But it's sure  that for us meteorites are also a world
patrimony which could be protected under  the UNESCO laws  :
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2001/pdf/5150.pdf

Just for  comparison : 20 kg of Martian meteorites have been discovered in
hot desert by  systematic prospectors who share full documentation, photos, GPS
localization...  and only 3 kg have been discovered by NWA approach.
Coordinates are important to  find paired specimen, a world patrimony is lost.

Richard and Roland  Pelisson

http://www.saharamet.com/expedition/2003/craters.html