[meteorite-list] Is this a possible meteorite?

Brian Horne tbhorne at localnet.com
Wed Aug 4 00:33:34 EDT 2004

Hi,
Here are the pictures, http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=964724    the "silver lines" are actually gold colored and is soft like gold. The material is not magnetic. Does not spark at all when ground. Has the apearance of nickel, does not streak and is brittle. This thing keeps growing a crystalized skin (guessing at crystals) every few days and if left alone this can get very thick and cover most of the rock.  This was found in early july is a well kept mowed yard.

 Here is the story:
 Sitting in the living room my dad heard something hit the roof, thinking it was the neighborhood brats he runs outside and there is nothing, well he calls me up that night and tells me, I joke to him it was probably a meteorite, and he should go look around in the day time. He calls the next day and says I found it.
About 25 yards from the house in his fresh cut yard it laid.
I took it back to my house ground a corner and it appears to maybe be nickle with a soft gold color substance(possibly gold it's self) Running throughout. It is opaque (may not be opaque but actually just very reflective)in places where you could see the underlaying gold lines running throuh it. It is non magnetic, non at all, so if this is a meteorite then it is a rare breed. The gold lines running throughout are soft and can be dented eaily with the ball point of a pen. I ground a small spot and this thing is dead grey. Kinda puts me in mind of nickel. And ideas? Where can I take this to find out what we have. And either way I'llbe happy since where it was found could have came from the hillside near by( 50 plus yards away), which would make this some pretty good gold ore  But in all seriousness, I believe it to be a meteor by the way the surface looks compared to other pictures(except the gold part)
Thanks for the help,
Brian
740-686-2897
Heres a link to my album: