[meteorite-list] Re: sorted

Dave Harris entropydave at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 3 04:56:26 EDT 2004

....interesting why you put it to the list - this will seem a non-sequitur
as I did not email to the list  - but I have no problems with this being
raised with the list, obviously - but it was a confidential email betwixt
you and I so here we go:

You didn't mention that you contacted me AFTER you won the auction, not
before, which would have been more prudent.  You can always go down the
fraud route but you would have looked pretty stupid as it was patently a
typo - at no other part of the auction did I mention the weight.
You know the size of a membrane box and you know that CI2s have very low
density so did you REALLY think it weighed nearly half a gram? ? You were
being opportunistic and greedy and know full well it was a type - like
everyone else who saw the auction - that is why it only reached $11 and not
$1100 like the last piece.

And I will also now copy in my mail to you seeing as they might not know
what you are talking about and you have chose to take the public route - and
you are on my forbidden bidders list anyway - I did that as soon as I saw
you were reneging.

You tried to get something for nothing - that is the long and the short of
it and now you are pissed because I made an error.
this was NOT a weighing error, this was a typo.

You have now dragged in the IMCA - well done - what could have been a
private matter has now been publicised. Way to go!

So, my email to Dirk:

Hiya,
Well, I have sorted out the Tagish, however I must say that on reflection I
think you should have paid for the item.

No one else thought it was 0.4g and it was obviously a typo (which is why it
stopped at $11).  The rubric for the auction was for a previous specimen I
sold and I am not alone in doing this.

On reflection I am not happy that you reneged on the deal and that you have
been messing me around (don't forget that I still pay eBay fees on this
item).
When I sold the 0.4g it fetched around $1000 - it was patently an error on
my behalf and I think it would have been courteous for you to have emailed
me the error so I could have changed it. Why did you even bother to bid on
it, knowing you were not going to buy it?

Please do not mess me around with auctions again - we all make mistakes but
you just took me for a sucker and I have to say I do not appreciate that.
You should not have bid on the item as you have no intentions of purchasing.

If that happens again I shall have to discuss with the IMCA this sort of
conduct as I do not think it was appropriate.

I now think that you should have honoured the deal - it may not be 'as
advertised' but it was patently an typo on my behalf - the weight of 0.4g
was not mentioned anywhere else in the text.

I do not intend to get into a long protracted discussion over this - I think
you were taking the piss here at my expense. I'll bet that if the lump was
the size of a thumbnail and it went for $11 you would not have any problems
purchasing it.

I work hard at giving any people who purchase meteoritic stuff or
terrestrial stuff what they want and when they want it - hence my excellent
feedback  - I feel insulted by this behaviour.

Sincerely

dave

IMCA #0092