[Granite-and-tumble] Alas, another music update

Bill Hub Bill@thehubs.net
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:20:44 -0600

The latest granite and tumble is forthcoming, the selections are in, I just
need to update the web site.   I finished the site for my film selections
last weekend, and will publish this weekend when I am back in Chicago.   In
the mean time, here is some random news that may be of interest ....

One of the last standing elephant six bands is about to collapse.   SF's
finest, Beulah, is  calling it quits after their next album, due out in the
fall on yet another to be determined  label.   Their first three albums are
all out of print due to label longevity, so for the few that own those great
albums, guard them with care.

Mike Watt, the legendary bassist from the minutemen will be releasing a book
this week  chronicling said band's 1983 tour with black flag.  The book is
entitled "Spiels of a  Minutemen".

The 2003 South By Southwest Music Festival is being held in its home of
Austin, Texas from  March 12th through March 16th. The keynote speaker for
this year's event is producer Daniel  Lanois.  This could finally be the
year that I attend this legendary event, as two of my  friends have recently
moved to Austin.

After months of silence, Jets to Brazil have finally spoken out and have
given the world and  update on the band's current situation. The band
dropped off the face of the earth for a few  months this past fall after
suddenly canceling their full-scale US tour without much notice  or a
reasonable explanation. Press reports said the cancellation was due to a
sudden illness  but no details were given and inquiries made to their
publicist proved fruitless.  This  weekend, frontman Blake Schwarzenbach
posted a bit of news on his label, Jade Tree's,  website. As it turns out,
Schwarzenbach fell into a depression, which seems to be the  "sudden
illness" that was the cause of the tour cancellation.    In the wake of this
news,  Chris Daley, JTB drummer has quit the band; and Blake has an open
invitation to all good  drummers who like the band and are not better
looking.   If the shoe fits, apply by sending Blake an email at
distantwizard@hotmail.com.

The sea and cake will be holding a record release party for their new album
one bedroom, on  Monday January 20, at the Hideout.  Burkhardt since you may
miss this one, perhaps you could  check them out at Club Quattro on Jan.
30th or 31st in Shibuya.

Polyvinyl Records concluded their a stellar year of releases with Owen's
latest release, "No  Good For No One Now"   Check out Owen on tour with
Rainer Maria and Mates of State - an  amazing polyvinyl triple bill.

Will Oldham has a new record out in January, this one under the moniker,
Bonnie Prince  Billy.   Due out on the same day, January 28, is the debut
from loose fur (the new band with O'Rourke and tweedy).

Here is my upcoming concert schedule, drop me a line if you would like to
accompany me to any of the shows, or you know of other good shows that may
be of interest:

camper van @ abbey 1/17
Ryan rapsys @ hideout 1/19
euphone @ schubas 1/24