[DogParkList] Where's the Overview or Intro to MacLoggerDX Video or PDF?

Rick Hubbard (RHE) rick.hubbard.email at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 15:18:11 EDT 2017

Rich,

Thanks for the note. My hope is such clarifying discussions will lead to a better experience for all affected parties.

Please accept this claim “as is.” Our circumstances are very, very different.

You are (clearly) a “Power User.” Both for Ham Radio and MLDX.

On the other hand, I hope to evolve into “POU” (Plain ‘Ole User)…and have a long, long, long way to go.

How far? For example: NOT including Field Day, I have one (1) HF QSO to my credit. That’s it. One. Singular. This means—unlike you—I can’t rely on “what I do with a radio” to guide what I want to do with MLDX because I don’t have a “what I do with [HF] radio” frame-of-reference.

Hopefully this point-of-view will clarify why an Introductory Overview of MLDX would be so helpful to a certain class of user, like myself.

The absence—for users in a similar situation as mine—of an Intro/Overview is a SIGNIFICANT BARRIER to using MLDX. It’s painful. I have a vague idea MLDX can do a lot…but I have no idea where to start. Nor can I find a place (e.g., a manual, video) to find out where to start.

From your perspective, that is, in the hands of an experienced Ham Radio operator like yourself, MLDX is probably a great tool…because you can rely on your prior knowledge and experience.

Because I—and many similarly situated users like myself—cannot rely on prior knowledge…the absence of (as we say in the tech world) “On Boarding” renders MLDX shelfware. I’ve had a license to use MLDX since July 1, 2016 had have made ~half-a-dozen attempts to understand and use MLDX since them (please recall…my days are overflowing with science, prepping grad school classes, research and writing). Candidly, I’d welcome—BUT DO NOT HAVE THE LUXURY of—an opportunity to hack around and figure out what MLDX does.

Let me also clarify what’s envisioned for an Intro/Overview…
…something on the order of ~7-10 minute YouTube video which explains What? MLDX does—at a high level (certainly not every feature)...and provides some form of a “Things to do first” checklist.
Power Users such as yourself can skip the video.
Newbies, such as myself, might view the video several times as we’re trying to build an understanding of what it does…AND THEN try to figure how to do something.
This important point merits re-affirmation: Many tasks that Power Users, like yourself, routinely accomplish with MLDX are tasks, which users like myself, DON’T KNOW EXIST and HAVE NEVER DONE (or, we’d know about them…etc.).
Rich, please understand: The next time I use MLDX to do what you consider to be a routine tasks will—for me—be the first time ever.

While I’m one of the slow kids in the MLDX class, I do know this: Over the course of my four decades in the Tech Sector—representing hundreds of millions of dollars in software projects—I’ve learned that brilliant software that users cannot use is not brilliant. It does not matter how clever developers (and power users) believe code or design is…if everyday users cannot use it. Every module of software spanning the range of human experience can be reduced to one of two categories: either it enables users achieve a desired outcome effectively and efficiently or it impedes users from achieving a desired outcome effectively and efficiently. For users like you: MLDX appears to enable your desired outcomes. For users like me: MLDX impedes us from achieving desired outcomes…and leaves frustration and a bitter after taste.

A thoughtful introductory overview {video, PDF, ?} is the type of artifact that can be produced in hours, not days…and would make the MLDX experience so much better for those—like myself—new to the product (and HF).

Rich, in closing: thanks again for the comments…and please have mercy on us tyros. Please be mindful: what you consider routine…I’ve never done and may not know exists.

Hope this helps…and the comments of others users (from Power to N00b) are invited, as well.

73 de KI6VOS,
Rick