[DogParkList] map idea

Rich Seifert ke1b at richseifert.com
Sat Apr 10 13:51:09 EDT 2010

>Guys-

>Here's an idea, tell me what you think.

>As we know, there are the many panels covering the bottom half of

>the MLDX window...map, cluster, log, sked, labels, etc. Also notice

>that if a QRZ lookup has a picture associated with it, it will show

>up in the window on the top left corner of MLDX, under the frequency

>display. When another lookup is performed, the previous picture

>rotates to the larger picture window to the right. (If no picture

>file is available, the countries flag is displayed).

>I find myself constantly switching back and forth from the cluster

>panel to the map panel. So here's the idea: what if a small

>version of the map could be displayed in the larger picture window

>on the top right, so we could view the map and the clusters at the

>same time? The smaller QRZ picture window on the left would remain

>the same, but the picture wouldn't rotate over to the window on the

>right if the map was there, obviously. This could be selectable

>with a check box from within the map panel.

Of course, Don has the last (and first) word, but I would expand on
this idea and allow the user to choose what to display in the large
window on the right. It could default to the previous picture, or be
selected to show the Map, the DX Cluster, the Log, etc. If this
location could essentially be used as a second "panel window", I
would buy a bigger display and expand MLDX to full size at all times.
Right now, I keep MLDX at its absolute minimum (which eliminates the
right-side picture area altogether), because the "desktop space" is
more valuable than the picture. Heck, I would buy a second monitor
for a feature like that! (PS: The second window doesn't need to be in
the right-side location; I would take it anywhere I could.)

Just my two cents. And yes, I understand that it is much more
difficult to display a second dynamic window with multiple objects
than it is to display a static picture. And MLDX works great even
without this idea.

Rich, KE1B
(PS: Apparently Google killed the "little man" on the map that we
were complaining about last week. Rest in Peace, little man!)

Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
rich at richseifert.com 21885 Bear Creek Way
(408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033
(408) 228-0803 FAX