[DogParkList] Elecraft K3 and MacLoggerDX

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Fri Jan 22 13:22:35 EST 2010

Hi Phil,

On 2010-01-22, at 1:11 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I am a new owner of Elecraft K3 but I have not yet set it up to interface to my mac and MacLoggerDX. I currently have the Elecraft Serial-to-USB interface cable but I have only used that with my Windows laptop in setting up and doing the configuration and calibration steps of the K3.

> So, what do I need (or, do I have it now?) to interface the K3 to MacLoggerDX. I currently use the CI-V interface of my Icom Pro III with MacLoggerDX.

You won't be able to do configuration and setup if that is a windows program but MacLoggerDX should be able to communicate through the same USB/Cable that you use on windows provided that you load a Mac OS X driver for it.

> And, here is yet another question? Has anyone plugged two rigs simultaneously to be used by MacLoggerDX.

Up to 8 rigs actually.

> MacLoggerDX does not have to be accessed to both rigs at the same time but I am wondering if there are any stumbling blocks.

It's pretty straight forward. There is a popup in the Radio Prefs for up to 8 Radios. Then just switch between them with the same popup.

> And, what if I wanted both connected at the same time. Could I use TWO instances of MacLoggerDX: one hooked to my Pro III and the other hooked to my K3?

No even if you could run 2 instances they would both share the same set of Prefs and get confused.

> And, what type of access control and locking occurs with the logging database. Is the database opened (via SQLite) only at the time that a record is to be read or written or is it held open during the time that MacLoggerDX is running. Obviously it would be nice to access the same database file simultaneously from two different applications.

The MacLoggerDX SQLite database is designed as a single client system and only implements locking amongst it's own threads.

> I presume that even with some care this can be done using SQLite interface.

You could open the same database from two different machines but the results may be unpredictable if they both try to write to the same record at the same time.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g P a r k S o f t w a r e L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com