[DogParkList] MLDX randomly turns off narrow filter?

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Fri Aug 28 17:54:16 EDT 2009

Hi Jim,

On 2009-08-28, at 5:11 PM, Jim Meehan wrote:

> I'm using MacLoggerDX with an Icom IC-706MkIIG. The 706 has the

> optional narrow SSB filter installed. Everything is working great,

> except that MLDX seems to randomly turn off the narrow filter. I

> can't find any connection as to when it happens. Sometimes I'll be

> tuning through the band, and other times I'll just be listening,

> touching neither the 706 or my Mac, and suddenly the narrow filter

> is off.

The problem is that every mode command sent to an Icom radio has an
optional filter width parameter that we do not sent.

How the radio will respond to the mode command without the filter
width setting is rather confusing and depends on which Icom you are
using.

<http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/civ-p33.html>

"Due to historical reasons the filter settings are somewhat confusing.
The original CI-V protocol initially had only two settings for filter
width: normal and narrow. When newer rigs came out, supporting three
settings (wide, normal, narrow) the codes for the filter width had to
be extended.
This leads to some confusion about which value sets which filter,
further aggravated by erroneous documentation (e.g. IC-R75)."

We did experiment with sending the filter width command with the mode
command in Version 5.07 Beta 3 but an unexpected complication was that
some Icom radios do not report the filter width accurately causing
more problems than it solved and the option was removed.

73 de VE3VRW Don Agro