[DogParkList] confirming eqsl.cc?

Rich Seifert ke1b at richseifert.com
Mon Jul 20 11:33:48 EDT 2009

At 9:36 AM -0400 7/20/09, Don Agro wrote:

>Hi John,

>On 20-Jul-09, at 2:14 AM, John Shuping wrote:

>>Thanks Don, attached is the ADI for the QSO from my log.

>>In my real log, I've tried removing the existing "LOTW:20090719"

>>from this entry before trying the "Confirm" and also tried

>>"Confirm" while leaving it there, I can't get eQSL to show up

>>either way (wasn't sure whether to expect append or replace,

>>actually).

>Your QSO was logged at 21:10 <TIME_ON:6>211010

>You confirmation shows 21:09 <TIME_ON:4>2109

>The seconds aren't the problem, the minutes are different.

FWIW, it's always a possibility that two ops will log the same QSO
with a slightly different time.

Old saying: A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two
watches is never sure.

LoTW will declare a "match" for QSL purposes as long as the times are
within (I believe) ten minutes of each other. But there's a
difference in the operation of LoTW and eQSL. LoTW will only issue a
QSL for QSOs that *you* upload to the system, and it will declare the
time of the QSO in your QSL as the time you gave in your log. Thus,
the times in your log and the time in the QSL will always match to
the minute level.

eQSL will issue a "card" even if you don't upload your log, as John
Shuping noted:

>Today I signed up for eQSL for the first time, and found I already

>had a card waiting for me. I downloaded the ADI, and MLDX

>(5.11b1{3,6}) is not liking it, saying "Confirmed 0 records".

Obviously, the QSO time on that "card" is the time from the other
station, which may or may not match the time in John's log. Even a
few seconds difference can show up in the minutes (e.g., if one has
06:04:58 and the other has 06:05:01).

One solution is to allow a QSL update in MLDX if the times match
within a few minutes (i.e., the LoTW algorithm).

Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
rich at richseifert.com 21885 Bear Creek Way
(408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033
(408) 228-0803 FAX