[DogParkList] LOTW & eQSL

C. Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Wed Oct 8 19:49:11 EDT 2008

I started this, I should take the heat if there is any to be had.

I am a Mac programmer. Or at least I have studied programming on and
off over the years and have produced a few applications. Most
recently I wrote a messaging program in RealBASIC. But that was a few
years ago and my copy of that isn't current. The main problem is that
I have 100 things to do and time to do 10 of them. I am constantly
juggling between family, church, radio, and other interests. Radio
has been getting more than it's fair share in the past few years,
partially because I have several unrelated leadership positions that
I'm trying to perform. Again, time is the critical element. Oh, and I
am still of working age and have to work 40 or more hours per week to
keep food on the table, a roof over my head, and electrons flowing to
my favorite RF gear.

On Oct 8, 2008, at 18:10, Don Agro wrote:

> Have a great idea for a feature that MacLoggerDX does not currently

> support ? Research it on the internet, use Apple's free XCode

> development suite and make it happen !

I have XCode. I've run it a few times. My 'C' skills are rusty, but I
could work on that. Please tell me more. Are you saying that it's
possible for me to extend the functionality of MLDX by using XCode?
Or are you suggesting that I draft some potential code for MLDX and
send it to you for possible inclusion?

> Extend the functionality of existing applications like B. Scott

> Andersen did with his excellent Cab Converter...

This is an intermediate solution. This will provide some time savers
but would not be a complete solution. The ideal would be for a method
to do it within the main application. Secondary would be some
additional application (script) which fills the gap. The least
helpful is what we do now with manual everything.

> Write some AppleScripts to extend MLDX...

One main stumbling block here, which I would love to know how to
solve or work around. That is that TSQL is not scriptable. So I need
a method of working around that. Now I recently found some comments
that the TSQL program can be run from the command line. If that is
true then I can probably make the script thing work. So that is
something I will look into on upcoming days off. If I am successful I
will gladly share my scripts for all (I've written many before).

> I will continuously strive to improve MacLoggerDX, but it will

> never do everything for everyone.

I wasn't asking for that, but I think it is reasonable to ask for
features and when popular enough that they are implemented. I asked
for a feature to MacMemories awhile ago. You told me what it would
take to get that feature. I have not been able to get in position to
provide you the necessary resource. Heck if it was just a matter of
funding the feature I might even be able to work with you on that. I
know, you have a life like the rest of us. This is just a hobby. But
it never hurts to ask.

> BTW Rick, I am not picking on you, I just used your post as an

> excuse to sound off on something that has been puzzling me for

> years - Where are all the Mac Ham Radio programmers ?

I am here ... just not enough hours in the day to do all the things I
want to do ... probably the same problem you have.

Thanks for considering our suggestions.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn