[DogParkList] MacLoggerDX 4.3.3 released

Steve - VA3SPH va3sph at mac.com
Sun Jan 20 17:50:37 EST 2008

Hi Fokko,

Must disagree with you on your comment that signal strength is
absolute. The very definition of anything we articulate using
Decibels is relative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel
"The decibel (dB) is a logarithmic unit of measurement that expresses
the magnitude of a physical quantity (usually power or intensity)
relative to a specified or implied reference level."

You can find most every definition of Decibel (db) describes it a
relative increase of measurement.
Interesting that the Omni VII meter is independent of pre-amp, RF
gain, attenuator.

Question for you. The Omni VII seems to have an true analog signal
level meter on the front. It goes from S9 to +20 to +40 and then +60.
My digital meter (displayed analog way) on my digital TS-2000 is
staged the same way (9,+20,+40,+60), as it is on many radios. I am
curious how you able to determine these fine levels like S9+18 S+19
etc..? The ability to detail seems rather lost at these high levels.
Just interested if there is digital display mode on main radio display
separate from the analog meter on the front?

Looks like a great rig!

Cheers & 73,
Steve - VA3SPH

On Jan 19, 2008, at 8:36 PM, dogparklist-request at dogparksoftware.com