[DogParkList] Icom & Mac

Greg Hemmings greghemmings at hughes.net
Sun Nov 5 23:01:38 EST 2006

How do I connect my IC-735 to my iMac?  First order of business is
> a cable.  I don't understand the need for a serial to USB converter
> if I get a cable that goes directly to USB in the first place.
> Something like this:

I don't know if this helps, but I downloaded a beta version of a rs232 driver on Don's website.  I believe it was a link on the USB adapter page http://lists.apple.com/archives/scitech/2006/Jun/msg00073.html .  Anyway, it worked great with my imac.  I purchased an Icom 746 Pro and of course it has no rs232 port, only a stereo plug for data.  I purchased the IOgear rs232 to USB cable on line to use with my mac.  The people at HRO told me that instead of spending all the money for a level converter, that I should buy the IC-OPC-478 programming cable (it's like $30.00), cut the connector off the end away from the rs232 end, and solder on a stereo plug, making sure that the data wire is the plug tip and ground is the ring above it.  I did this and my 746 works great with my imac and MLDX!

I don't know if this helps or not but I hope it does.

Greg  N4WVE