[DogParkList] Contesting with MacLogger

B. Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Fri Oct 13 22:35:26 EDT 2006

Hello Pierre,

If you are a very serious contester who will "sit and run"
rather than "search and pounce" you may be better served
by running one of the DOS-based contest logging programs
that have been designed specifically to service this need.

That said, I have had good luck running MacLoggerDX in
contests and have created a companion application called
Cab-converter which creates properly formatted Cabrillo
files for most of the major contests.

MacLoggerDX does not have the kind of function key
support for CW keyers and other shortcuts that you
would expect from one of these DOS applications.
It also doesn't keep track of your running score,
alert you to multipliers, or work with other copies
on a network the way some other contest logging
programs can.  Further, data entry is not as
stream-lined as with other contest loggers.

All that said, MacLoggerDX is an excellent
general purpose logging program not just for
the Macintosh platform but for any platform.
It is not designed to be a contest logging
program, yet it can perform as one for
contesting efforts that are not trying to win
CQWW Multi-Multi. If you are single op, low
power, and just contesting for fun, you may
find that MLDX does a reasonable job for you.
If you are used to 300 an hour run-rates,
expect tight logger-keyer integration, or
very rich contest-data display, you may be
frustrated by trying to use this general
purpose program for the very specific use.

I plan on using MacLoggerDX for CQWW,
ARRL Sweepstakes, ARRL DX, and CQWW WPX contests
this year. I will not win. :-)
I will have fun.

I hope this answers your question. If not,
please post to the list again and we can
discuss it some more. Thanks.

-- Scott