[DogParkList] Re: Problem with map and beam headings MLDX

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Wed Jul 26 09:31:04 EDT 2006

Hi Ron,

On 26-Jul-06, at 8:18 AM, Ron Hahn EI2JP wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> I'm having a problem with beam headings and the map function,
> related to a call sign lookup.
>
> Say I have my good friend John, EI9JO, who is in IO41VW.  I work
> John, and look up his details on my QRZ cdrom that I have
> installed.  The grid square (default, I think) is IO63UH so the map
> points to Dublin, which is wrong.
>
> I correct the information to IO41VW (which I know to be correct) in
> the logged QSO and the map STILL points to the old locator.  Any
> way to get around this and restore my sanity?

As long as you save the correction to the grid square in the log
entry, subsequent lookups will derive the location from the corrected
entry.

You can tell for sure if the "Loc:" field displays "Log GS" (Log Grid
Square) instead of "Call" or whatever other method was being used to
fix the location.

Make sure that all the log entries and user call book entries for
EI9JO have IO41VW set as the corrected grid square.

Here is the section of the manual which deals with this...

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/
controlwindow.html>

Here is how MacLoggerDX determines Map position for a call/prefix:

    1. MacLoggerDX resolves all call signs to the DXCC country level
using the data published in the ARRL Operating guide subject to
special issue call overrides in dxpeditions.dat "Locator: Country".
    2. bearings.dat resolves specific prefix based locations -
"Locator: Call".
    3. QRZ lookup may provide a zip code which can be resolved by
zip.dat which has the entire US 1999 census zip to post office
latitude and longitude data "Locator: US Zip".
    4. cities.dat has entries where if the city is known and found
the latitude and longitude can be resolved "Locator: City".
    5. If the call is in either your log, or your user call book,
that location data is found in a lookup "Locator: Log GS".
    6. APRS position reports will of course supersede all the above
for location data "Locator: APRS".
    7. If Internet Lookup is enabled and if there is a grid square or
Latitude and Longitude data provided on the Internet this will be
used "Locator: iNet GS", "Locator: iNet LL", this is uaually the most
accurate since the operator has provided this data himself.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com