[DogParkList] Re: MacLoggerDX & TS-480

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Wed Nov 23 17:07:43 EST 2005

Hi Ade, Heiko,

On 22-Nov-05, at 10:55 AM, Adrian Lambert wrote:

> It was really strange, if I booted up and started Maclogger and the
> radio, no problems. If the machine went to sleep or I turned the
> radio off and on, it stopped working until a full reboot was
> instigated.

That is very similar to what Heiko found - when he closes the port it
stalls until he unplugs/replugs the USB adapter.
He is using the a USB-Serial-Adapter that uses the Prolific chipset
which has some known problems with OS X and a new driver..

<http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

I wonder what USB/Serial adapter you were using ?

If it's not the USB adapter driver then it could be the TS-480 that
doesn't like to have the serial port closed - very strange, I have
never heard of this type of behavior with any of the other 70+ radios
MLDX supports - just the TS-480.

On 23-Nov-05, at 3:27 PM, Ade wrote:

> I was using a prolific chipset and I found another but can't recall
> what, but they both displayed the same problem.
> Mine wouldn't work even with a unplug/plug of the USB device. It
> always needed a reboot to function again. But the same device with
> a Yaesu radio works fine.
> Kenwood worked fine with KenMacWood however !

KenMacWood may not be closing the serial port - that seems to be what
is causing the problem.

On 23-Nov-05, at 4:00 PM, Heiko Amft wrote:

> so now I have tested the same with my FT897.
> It's exactly like Adrian wrote, the FT897 work without _any_ Problems.
> I can start,stop,start,stop the cat connection, it works. No hangs
> or other problems.
> In this case I say, the problem is _not_ the usb-serial-adapter
> (test with serial speed up to 38400 bd with no problems), looks
> like a strange communication problem with the ts480 (protocol?,
> timing?)
>
> So what we do next ??!?

I'm not sure. I am really stumped. That is why the Driver status page
lists the driver as "?"

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/drivers.html>

I am copying the dogpark list to see if anyone has had any other
experiences with the Kenwood TS-480
Your log shows perfect communication until you close the port - then
the driver and/or radio hangs and will not respond when the port is
re-opened.
I google "TS-480 serial port" but couldn't find anything useful.

If anyone else has any experiences with the TS-480 they would like to
share - please do.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com