[DogParkList] Re: DogParkList Digest, Vol 11, Issue 7

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Fri Aug 12 06:27:28 EDT 2005

Hi David,

On 12-Aug-05, at 6:07 AM, David Ferrington wrote:

> Well, I like MLDX and I believe I understand why you want to keep the
> interface as it is. Just because it doesn't do one thing I thought
> I might
> like, doesn't stop it being the best around.
>
> I was never suggesting you change this just because I thought it
> might be
> useful,

Ahh - and that's what I'm trying to get to - I don't disagree with
the usefulness - just the means of achieving it. I need to know the
specific use you are trying to affect.

> that's why I asked for other peoples opinion. And I wasn't
> suggesting you change the current interface, but just allow  people to
> 'tear-off' a panel, a bit lit tear-off menu's (yes, perhaps too
> MS'ish).

Yup - tear offs are out of the question. It is also a design decision
that I reserve for myself as the author :)

This list is really geared towards helping people understand how
MacLoggerDX (and our other products) work - not holding public votes
on how to redesign them.

> As I said, I need to re-read the manual and consider my use more.
>
> And please don't think I'm unhappy with the interface or the
> product, it's
> just I found myself jumping between DxClusters, Log, Map and Bands
> quite a
> bit and wounded if it would be simple to pop them off.

No problem. I encourage you not to drop the issue but to arrive at a
different solution.

Just because I disagree with your solution does not mean that there
is not a problem.

Time and time again I have seen the same thing - a user will report a
suggestion for a fix rather than the underlying problem.

What I am trying to get at is - what was happening when you first
thought "Gee I really would like to tear off this panel and leave it
running while I go and do... xyz".

We don't want to compromise the design of the UI, but we can still
work within that framework to achieve the desired result - if we can
define the problem instead of just holding public votes on various
redesign schemes.

As you use MLDX and get to one of those points where you would like
to tear off a panel - note what you are attempting to do and let me
know - but I will find a description of the problem much more useful
than a proposal for a new design.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com