[DogParkList] MLDX enhancement

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Thu Aug 11 09:02:14 EDT 2005

Hi Iñigo,

On 11-Aug-05, at 8:39 AM, Iñigo Bastarrika EA2BXV wrote:

> You are right Don... that was exactly what you told me.

Yes and then I asked you...

On 2-Apr-05, at 5:45 AM, Don Agro wrote:
> What sort of information are you not seeing simultaneously now that
> you would like to ?

But you didn't respond. My solution would be to fix the problem not
to redesign the user interface which most people seem to be
reasonably happy with.

You may have noticed that most OS X applications favor the
intelligent use of a single multi-paneled window over the older multi
windowed styles.

But I will repeat my question... What sort of information are you not
seeing simultaneously now that you would like to ?

MacLoggerDX does use a separate window for the Contest Helper and for
the Keyers because there it makes sense.

If there are other situations where information is 'hidden', then
please, let's discuss them and arrive at a solution, but there is
exactly zero probability of MacLoggerDX being totally re-written from
the ground up - especially to suit a paradigm that is no longer in
favor in the Mac world.

On 11-Aug-05, at 8:39 AM, Iñigo Bastarrika EA2BXV wrote:

> But, a redesign of MLDX shell would be welcome.

Well I certainly hope you don't speak for the majority. Nor is it a
'shell'. It is the foundation of the GUI and the basis for the entire
user-interaction model.

> And another thing.... our logs are biger and biger... and a log
> database with 10.000 qsos goes extremetly slow with such a G5
> machine. I know we can split our logs in several files but for
> statistics and award pourpouses it is a good thing to have all the
> qsos in 1 log. 10.000 qsos are not many qsos, a World Wide Contest
> is enough to make 2.000 qsos...
> If you are planing to redesing MLDX... perhaps you could make the
> database structure faster...

I am NOT planning on redesigning MacLoggerDX. The database is a plain
tab-delimited text file that is human readable - this has many
advantages over an indexed binary database file but being able to
handle more than 10000 records interactively in not one of them -
don't forget MLDX is sorting the records and doing awards
calculations in real time.

What most people do is maintain one large total log file and several
smaller ones for different occasions.

You can switch amongst them instantly with the "Logs" popup.

You can put an unlimited number of data records in a FileMakerPRO or
AppleWorks database.

Templates have been provided to make this quick and painless...

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDXDB.html>

 From there you can perform whatever searching, post processing or
report generation that you like.

> These are only ideas for the future releases...
>
> 73 de Iñigo EA2BXV

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com