[DogParkList] MacMemoriesManager & FT-857

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Wed Jan 19 20:50:15 EST 2005

Hi David,

On 19-Jan-05, at 7:37 PM, David Ferrington wrote:

> Did you mean debug in the MLDX pref, since its MMM that appears to be
> problem? Anyway.

Yup, sorry...
Run the Mac console app, Run MMM and check the "Log" checkbox. Press
the button to the left of the radio picture which will attempt to read
memories from the radio into the list. (You can cancel after the first
dozen or so). Paste the console output into an email.

> This looks like a driver problem again. I closed both MLDX & MMM and
> disconnected the USB, rebooted the Mac, reconnected the USB and ran MMM
> again. Now MMM communicates with the radio ok.

Good !

> Does work faster that it did too. So guessing there was a conflict.

Sounds like it. The FTDI driver (used with the microHAM devices) works
but is not quite as smooth as the Keyspan driver. I am hoping that they
(FTDI) will improve it.

> Next question please - there are special chars (icons) in the radio
> and when
> I first loaded from radio -> list, I saw an ë (umlaut e) for one of
> them. I
> can use same to put it back - is there a list of which are which?

Not that I know of (unless they are in the Yaesu manual ?)

> If I developed a list, you you like to publish it or perhaps include
> it in a
> popup to help people with Yaesus?

Certainly - I'll put it in the manual (which still needs a lot of work).

> How best to do that, I would guess a simple icon editor would allow me
> draw the icon and I could show the mac char next to it. Any suggestion
> for a
> free one?

I don't think they are bitmaps - just symbols based on a lookup table -
the same internal symbol table you see when you cycle through the
characters when you are editing the alpha tags from the radio's menus.
They are only 8 bit bytes so there are only a maximum of 256 symbols to
choose from. Unfortunately there is currently no way to edit the
non-ascii symbols easily from within MacMemoriesManager.

> Ok, so what does 'LOCK OUT' mean :-(

It means to skip this channel in the scan. It shows as a "." instead of
a "-" between the channel number and the alpha tag in the display.
Yaesu calls this "Scan Skip" rather than Lock Out.

> Doesn't appear to be a manual with detailed info for MMM, but
> understand its
> a 'work in progress' and its mostly obvious. What does the Log
> checkbox do?

That's the debug log (see above).

> And lastly, I've removed the list since I'm sure they don't all want
> the
> debug etc, but feel free to publish any of above.

I've copied the list (mostly to correct my earlier typos and mistakes :)

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com