[DogParkList] Product Idea

J.T. Travis, K5AD K5AD@arrl.net
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:00:59 -0500

Hi guys,
  I know Don sure is busy - I can hardly keep up with the updates!
but I have an idea for a new program.  I was looking at the MFJ "DX
Beacon Monitor"
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-890

  It is a small box with a map of the world.  There is a LED at each
spot where propagation beacons are located.  It syncs with universal
time and blinks the LED at the appropriate time for each beacon.  You
tune your receiver to the appropriate frequency.  If you can hear the
signal, then you know which beacon it is from by the LED.  The
beacons send out their call at 20 wpm, so for those of us that can't
copy that fast, it is an easy visual guide to the beacon that you are
hearing.  The beacons transmit on a schedule so the device is not
receiving any radio waves except WWL to set it's clock.

  It would seem that this would be a natural for a program.  You can
get the time from the system or a time server for accuracy, probably
only need to do it when the program starts up, then light up a spot
on the map in sync with the schedule for each beacon.  The beacons
transmit at decreasing outputs, so you can determine the power needed
to reach you, the program could also tell you what power the current
signal was being sent.

  Anyone besides me interested in purchasing such a program?  The MFJ
device is $100, can't be updated for beacon changes, and is another
piece of hardware with wires congesting the shack.

--
73
Joe Travis, K5AD