[DogParkList] echomac with airport extreme

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:25:31 -0500

Hi Dan,

On Jan 2, 2004, at 7:11 PM, dangold@bresnan.net wrote:

> I recently obtained cable service for internet access and was very=20
> impressed
> with echomac's performance.  Now I've added airport extreme to my=20
> setup using
> a 1 gig iMac 17 in flatpanel.  The airport works great.  The echomac=20=

> is down.
> I suspect a configuration or port problem.  Can anyone advise how to=20=

> get this
> up and running again?  Thanks.

When you say "echomac is down" that doesn't tell us too much.
Can you get a list of nodes ?
Can you connect to "*EchoTest* ?

Have you read the EchoMac ReadMe section on Firewall/Router Issues ?

> "Firewall/Router Issues:
>
> If you are using a router between your computer and the Internet, you=20=

> need to set it up to forward ports 5198 through 5200 to the computer=20=

> you are running EchoMac on. Specifically it uses UDP, but most routers=20=

> don't care what transport you are using. This is *VERY* important or=20=

> else you will not be able to make connections. Also, I've seen some=20
> routers stop forwarding certain ports, like 5200, and then things get=20=

> confused in EchoMac and it cannot tell if you are connected to a=20
> remote station, even though audio may come through. Resetting the=20
> router was the only fix, this is not a bug in EchoMac.
>
> For more information, please see: =20
> http://www.echolink.org/el/firewall_solutions.htm"

... and on Apple AirPort ?

> [...]

> address with the computers that join the AirPort network. To provide=20=

> Internet access to multiple computers with one IP address, NAT assigns=20=

> private IP addresses to each computer on the AirPort network, then=20
> matches these addresses with port numbers. The base station creates a=20=

> port-to-private IP address table entry when a computer on your AirPort=20=

> (private) network sends a request for information to the Internet.
>
> If you are running a Web, AppleShare, or FTP server on your AirPort=20
> network, other computers initiate communication with your server.=20
> Since the base station has no table entries for these requests, it has=20=

> no way of directing the information to the appropriate computer on=20
> your AirPort network.
>
> To ensure that requests are routed to your Web, AppleShare, or FTP=20
> server properly, you need to establish a permanent IP address for your=20=

> server and provide inbound port mapping information to the AirPort=20
> Base Station.
>
> To set up inbound port mapping:
>
> 1 Open the AirPort Admin Utility and open your base station=92s=20
> configuration.
>
> 2 Click the Port Mapping tab.
>
>  In the Port Mapping window, click Add and enter the following=20
> information:
>
>    * Public Port: The port number other computers will use to access=20=

> the services provided
>      by your computer. For example, computers look for Web services on=20=

> port 80.
>
>    * Private IP Address: The manually assigned, private IP address of=20=

> your computer.
>
>    * Private Port: The port that will be used on your computer to=20
> provide services. In most
>      cases, you can use the same number as the public port.
>
> So, in the port mapping table for EchoMac, you would need the=20
> following:
>
>  Public Port  5198
>  Private IP   {the IP address your computer was assigned by AirPort}
>  Private Port 5198
>
>  Public Port  5199
>  Private IP   {the IP address your computer was assigned by AirPort}
>  Private Port 5199
>
>  Public Port  5200
>  Private IP   {the IP address your computer was assigned by AirPort}
>  Private Port 5200
>
>  The easiest way to find your computer's IP address may be to open the=20=

> "Sharing" panel in System Preferences. This will open the window where=20=

> you can turn on/off various file/web sharing services. All you care=20
> about is the text at the top which shows the Network Address.
>
>  Alternately, in System Preferences, you can go into the "Network"=20
> panel. Just make sure the "Show" list is set to AirPort, and the=20
> TCP/IP tab will show your IP address.
>
>  Create the three entries above using the Airport=20
> configuration/administration software, and after it resets the AirPort=20=

> base station it should be all ready for you.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark@mac.com