[DogParkList] MacLoggerDX serial port anomaly under OS 9 ?

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:13:07 -0500

Hi Andy,

I am copying this to the list since this issue has confused a number of
people...

On Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 08:53  PM, Andy Williams wrote:

> The program is working, but presents me with a list of 3 serial ports
> from the popup menu on the preferences tab: serial port B, serial port
> 1 and serial port 2. The USA-28 serial port adapter has serial ports 1
> & 2. To use serial port 1 on the adapter, I have to select serial port
> B from the popup menu. To use serial port 2 on the adapter, I select
> serial port 1 on the popup menu.

I had to write MacLoggerDX as a Carbon application for it to run on OS
9 and OS X.

Because it is a Carbon application it can't use Classic Serial I/O or
the Communications ToolBox under OS 9.

It has to use Open Transport Serial endpoints under OS 9 and IOKit
under OSX.

Open Transport has pretty primitive (and obscure) port naming
facilities which don't look anything like the names you see in port
lists in legacy Macintosh applications.

Sorry for the confusion.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com